(NaturalNews) High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is known to be a contributor to obesity and a number of serious health ailments, but very few health experts and medical publications ever discuss the highly toxic substance hiding within a large percentage of HFCS — mercury. Found in a large number of processed foods and sodas, mercury-containing HFCS is toxic in all forms and may be contributing to the rampant disease rates inside the United States and elsewhere.
After the report was released to the mainstream media detailing the presence of mercury in the food supply, health freedom activists immediately began petitioning the FDA to take action. Their calls, while oftentimes highly publicized and met with considerable support, ultimately fell on the deaf ears of the FDA. The Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy was one such organization that called upon the FDA to remove toxic mercury from processed foods. Even the co-author of the two explosive U.S. studies, Dr. David Wallinga, spoke on behalf of the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy. In a prepared statement on the subject, he stated:
"Mercury is toxic in all its forms. Given how much high-fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the [U.S. Food and Drug Administration] to help stop this avoidable mercury contamination of the food supply."
Mercury is certainly a threat to health in any amount, but the findings become truly alarming when considering the fact that the average American consumed 37.8 pounds of high-fructose corn syrup in 2008 alone. Much of this HFCS most likely contained mercury, accumulating in the bodies of unknowing consumers who are not privy to the very real dangers of processed junk food. It is also important to note that this it but a single source of mercury exposure. CFL light bulbs, seafood, and amalgam fillings are also common sources of mercury exposure that are contributing to the mercury toxicity of consumers worldwide.
The ubiquitous nature of HFCS makes it nearly impossible to avoid if eating a junk diet full of dead, processed food items. In contrast, eating a high quality organic diet full of raw produce will make it nearly impossible to ever encounter HFCS. Until the FDA or another organization is forced to respond to health conscious activism, choosing 100% organic foods is the best way to avoid mercury-filled HFCS.