What is pH and why is it so important?
pH stands for potential hydrogen, which is a measurement of the hydrogen ion concentration in the body. Anything below 7 indicates the body is acidic, and anything above 7 it is alkaline. The human body has an average of around 7.4. Every living system has to maintain a proper pH in order to survive. We are really no different from plants, our oceans, fish, animals— anything and everything that is living has to maintain homeostasis in order for all bodily functions to perform properly.
If you’re trying to become more alkaline it is important to eat alkaline foods, but also, keep in mind that you need to be testing the pH of your body and not just what you are consuming. pH test strips can be an important component when trying to maintain a pH in a healthy range.
Some foods such as lemons are very acidic, but when consumed become alkaline in the body. There are many charts online that will give you a general idea of what is acidic and what is alkaline. Of all that I’ve seen I cannot help but notice that everything to the left of the spectrum (pH between 3 and 6) are all produced by man– fast food, sodas, coffee, donuts, pasta, etc. Everything to the right of the scale (between 7 and 10) was made by God –melons, bananas, pineapple, asparagus, kale, broccoli, kiwi, berries, etc. Who should you be trusting with your health?
Symptoms of Acidosis (poor pH balance)
- Heart problems, arrhythmias, increased heart rate
- Bladder and kidney infections
- Low energy and chronic fatigue
- Headaches, confusion, sleepiness
- Yeast fungal overgrowth
- Premature aging
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, morning sickness
- Weight gain, obesity and diabetes
- Inflamed sensitive gums, cavities
The affect of acidosis on bodily systems
- Digestive System – ‘most digestive disorders such as indigestion, nausea, bloating, gastric reflux—are symptoms caused by excess acid in the gastric region and not enough alkaline minerals in the intestinal tract. If the minerals from enzyme rich foods are missing then the pancreas will become exhausted and lose its ability to decode food and tell the body what to do with it. This will lead to a degenerative spiral where organs become confused and inflamed.’ 1.
- Reproductive System – three different disorders in reproductive health are linked to an acidic environment; 1. Decreases male and female arousal, 2. Decreases sexual enjoyment and female climax. 3. Decreases fertility and increases the tendency to miscarry.
- Immune System- whether or not bad bacteria and pathogens incubate or remain dormant all depends on the ratio of cellular pH. “The germ theory is a narrow view that has been adopted by the current medical establishment which conveniently relies on a profitable cut, burn, and poison approach to sickness. Surgery, radiation, and pharmaceutical drugs are an invasive approach that is ineffective because they work against the body’s natural functions to heal itself.” 1.
- Respiratory System- when the body is too acidic, the transport of oxygen is strangled. Every cell in your body needs to breathe new oxygen and to clear acidic carbon dioxide to function properly.
- Skeletal System – arthritis in both forms, Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis, are both related to pH imbalance and accumulation of acid deposits in the joints and wrists. It is the accumulation of acid that damages cartilage. When the cells that produce the lubricating synovial fluids and bursa fluids are acidic, it creates a dryness that irritates and swells the joints. 1.
- Nervous System – acidosis weakens the nervous system by depriving it of energy which makes the physical, mental and emotional body weak.
Healing the Body + Finding Balance
Our bodies have within them amazing healing and restorative powers. These powers can only be tapped into with proper diet. You simply cannot put in junk and expect anything but junk to be the by product. Wholesome, clean energy sources are necessary for proper functioning of cells and whole body healing, not symptom managing.
There are several ways you can easily raise your body pH level (without breaking your bank):
- Celery- this water rich veggie can be eaten before, during, or after a meal. It has the perfect electrolyte balance which reenergizes and alkalizes your body.
- Aloe Vera Juice- incredibly alkalizing and loaded with electrolytes, trace minerals, anti-oxidants and polysaccharides. Pure aloe juice or gel gives one of the quickest alkaline boosts. Drink before or after a large meal.
- Lemon/Lime Bicarbonate Formula- Squeeze one whole lemon/lime in a glass and add aluminum-free baking soda bit by bit. The acid/base combination will begin to fizz. Keep adding baking soda until the fizz stops and fill the glass with water (8-16oz). This is the ideal drink before bed to maintain an alkaline environment while sleeping. 2.
Maintaining a body healthy pH is more important than you think, and a lot easier than you think if you make a few small adjustments in your daily routine. Once you get the ball rolling, it just gets easier and easier and you will start feeling better each day.