New years resolutions can be challenging at times so why not simply start by adding more good things into your diet as opposed to taking things out. Add these 4 simple detox tips to your day and you'll be sure to feel great in no time. Here's to a healthy and happy 2012!
1. Drink More Water
Where possible make sure to drink your water at least 30 minutes before eating as this will allow time for the water to properly penetrate the cells of your body and hydrate your stomach lining in preparation for proper digestion. I like to add lemon juice and apple cider vinegar to my water or green it up with barley grass powder, wheatgrass powder, spirulina or chlorella. Yum!
2. Add A Green Juice To Your Day
Green Juice Recipe Ideas:
– Celery, lemon and pear (or apple)
– Celery, cucumber, lemon (leave the skin on) and pear (or apple)
– Celery, cucumber, kale, lemon and pear (or apple)
– Celery, cucumber, lemon, parsley and pear (or apple)
I also like to stir whatever green powders I have laying around the house into my juices to green them up even more! Again try barley grass, wheatgrass, spirulina or chlorella powders.
3. Add More Parsley and Cilantro (Corriander) To Your Diet
Heavy Metal Detox Pesto Recipe:
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup Brazil nuts (selenium source) or macadamia nuts
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds (cysteine source)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (zinc, magnesium sources)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (corriander)
- 1 cup parsley
- 2/3 cup cold pressed olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (Vitamin C source)
- Big pinch of sea salt and or dulse flakes to flavor
Soak the seeds and nuts over night to release the enzyme exhibitors. Process the parsley, cilantro (corriander) and olive oil in a blender until chopped. Add the garlic, nuts, and seeds, salt / dulse and lemon juice and mix until the mixture is finely blended into a paste. Store in dark glass jars if possible. It freezes well also if needs be. Enjoy!
4. Breathe Deep Into Your Abdomen
According to the 'Tao of Breathing' up to 70% of our body’s waste products are eliminated via our lungs and the rest through the urine, skin and feces. When the efficiency of our lungs is reduced due to poor breathing less oxygen is available to our cells, it slows down the flow of blood which carries wastes from the kidneys and lungs. Our lymphatic system which fights off viral and bacterial invaders is weakened along with a slower digestive process.
Breathe long slow and deep in a mindful state as often as possible.
Here's to a healthy, happy and wonderfully abundant 2012!
In good health,
James, Laurentine and the 'Food Matters' team.