by: Melissa A. Bartoszewski, DC
(NaturalNews) Ever wonder why you are in pain, feeling tired and sluggish, frequently sick, have less than radiant skin, or just can't seem to focus? The answer may very well lie in the meals you eat on a daily basis. Food plays a direct role in why you feel the way you do. Making smarter choices by incorporating natural, raw foods into your diet will help to alleviate common symptoms and allow you to live a healthier, symptom-free life.
• Sugar: diabetes, obesity, vitamin loss, learning/behavioral disabilities
• Animal proteins: cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer risk
• Chemical sweeteners: carcinogenic effects, migraines, nervous system damage
• Artificial preservatives/colors: promote cancer, liver detox overload, ADHD
• Decreased fiber: increased risk of colon cancer, cardiovascular disease
The age old adage, "you are what you eat," is more true today than ever before; eat badly, feel bad; eat well, feel well. Foods in their natural state provide the body with the necessary fuel it needs to function optimally. Minimally processed foods contain a high vitamin content, natural fiber, antioxidants, and lower calories.
• Raw fruits/vegetables: high vitamin content, fiber, phytonutrients, good carbs
• Dried beans/lentils: high in protein, fiber, iron
• Chia seeds: natural source of omega-3's, fiber, protein
• Nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews, Brazil): healthy fats, vitamins, protein
• Green tea: cancer fighting, improved cognition, antioxidants, lowers cholesterol
• Almond/Coconut milk: High in vitamins, especially Vitamin D and calcium
• Fresh garlic: anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal
People who eat "clean" reap the health benefits both inside and out, including: clearer skin, less pain and sickness, decreased prescription medications and medical bills, improved sleep, energy levels and mood, and an overall improvement in their quality of life. Healthier eating is not a diet; it is a lifestyle change that your body will thank you for, today and in the future.